Last updated: May 31st, 2016
Hash is basically just heated and pressurized kief. Applying heat and pressure to kief alters its composition by rupturing the resin glands, changing its taste, consistency, and look. The color of kief typically darkens the more it is pressurized. Just as there are many ways you can collect kief, there are many ways to make your own hash. Here is a simple DIY method that involves parchment paper (not wax paper), an iron, and a buffer (such as a t-shirt, thin towel or even damp newspaper):
- Heat iron to lowest setting – no steam
- Take the parchment (adjust to amount to be pressed – typically about a foot), fold in half and place on an iron-ready surface (preferably an ironing board)
- Place a light layer of kief on the bottom half of the parchment paper (not too thick – about a ¼ inch) and fold the top half over, keeping the kief toward the fold
- Put the buffer over the parchment paper
- Apply pressure with the iron for no more than 3 or 4 seconds at a time, for about 20 swipes, flipping the paper’s side every few swipes
- Check your progress and adjust heat or force of swipes if too loose or sticky
- Don’t forget to turn off the iron
Click here to view the top 5 uses for kief.
Click here to learn more about the different types of cannabis concentrates.
Ask Jane a New Question
Have a question about the cannabis plant or its potential medical applications? Ask Jane by first searching Medical Jane’s database of frequently asked questions and answers. Chances are, someone has already asked and answered your question, so be sure to search Medical Jane before asking the Medical Jane community to answer your question.