Last updated: June 1st, 2016
Use this simple infusion method / recipe for making quality cannabis-infused cooking oil (canna oil) at home:
- 6 cups extra virgin olive oil (organic preferred) (or) canola oil (backup oil — not preferred)
- ~1 ounce cannabis buds, finely ground (or) ~2 ounces of leaf trim, dried and finely ground
- In a heavy saucepan (or a double boiler), slowly heat the extra virgin olive oil on low heat for a few minutes. You should begin to smell the aroma coming from the oil.
- Add a little bit of cannabis to the oil and then stir until it is fully coated with oil. Keep adding more cannabis until the entire amount of cannabis is mixed into the oil.
- Simmer on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool before straining.
- Press the cannabis against a metal strainer with the back of a spoon to wring all the oil out of it.
- The oil is best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- Throw the leftover cannabis in the compost.
Click here to learn more about making cannabis infused cooking oil.
Ask Jane a New Question
Have a question about the cannabis plant or its potential medical applications? Ask Jane by first searching Medical Jane’s database of frequently asked questions and answers. Chances are, someone has already asked and answered your question, so be sure to search Medical Jane before asking the Medical Jane community to answer your question.