- Released: February 2016
- Manufactured By: Grenco Science
- Manufactured In: China
- Designed In: California
- Dry Herb
The G Pen Elite vaporizer is a new portable dry-herb vape from Grenco Science, the same people who brought you the G Pen Herbal and Micro G Pen vaporizers. The Grenco Science website refers to the new unit as “ a monumental leap in technology for both brand and industry,” so I was excited to see whether it would live up to the hype.
The G Pen Elite is an ergonomically designed portable conduction vaporizer (despite it being marketed as a dual convection/conduction unit). It features a full LED display with temperature control, battery life indicator, and all-ceramic heating chamber. Powered by a combination of the highest grade lithium-ion battery and smart-chip technology, the Elite is a high-performance vaporizer that sustains battery life for extended use. Designed and engineered for portability, the G Pen Elite is the perfect marriage of form and function, making it the ideal solution for efficient vaporization on the go.
Designed for dry herbs & extended vape sessions
If you are looking for a portable vaporizer that acts like a one-hitter [as opposed to a session vape], then the G-Pen Elite is probably not the best fit for you. However, if you are like me and enjoy relaxing for a few minutes while taking multiple hits from your vaporizer, you will find the design of the new G-Pen Elite to be fantastic.
The G Pen Elite boasts the largest fully ceramic chamber on the market, with a revolutionary 360 ceramic heating element that provides fast and even conduction vaporization of ground material from all sides. With the capability of setting any desired temperature between 200° – 428°F (93° – 220°C), users can experiment with low temperature true vaporization to explore optimal flavor profiles. This innovative technology opens up an entirely new vaporizing experience with unrivaled performance, taste, and effects.
There are a few smart features built into the unit. For instance, after turning your device on and initiating the heating process, the Elite is set to automatically shut off after five (5) minutes. So don’t worry if you get too medicated to remember to shut off your unit — Grenco Science has your back. Also, if you forget to initiate the heating process all-together, the Elite vape is smart enough to automatically shut off after just 40 seconds of idol time.
How to use the new G-Pen Elite vape
Getting started with your new G-Pen Elite is a simple and straight-forward process:
- Register your G-Pen Elite on the Grenco Science website using the serial number information located on the underside of the product packaging. Grenco Science stands behind their products and provides a one year warranty on electronic components.
- Fully charge the device for a minimum of three hours before first use by plugging your Elite vape into the provided USB-compatible charger when it is plugged into a computer.
- Remove the mouthpiece by gripping both sides firmly and lifting one side upward.
- Fully load the chamber with your preferred ground material. Be sure to grind dry herbs before using them to maximize the surface area that will touch the oven walls.
- Power on your device by pressing the front panel button five times until you see the G logo light up (this is the same way you turn off your device).
- Use the side buttons to select your preferred vaporization temperature. For this step, I would highly suggest starting your vape session at a lower temperature (< 250 – 300°F) to ensure you don’t overheat certain terpenes or cannabinoids that deteriorate at high temperatures. After taking a few draws at this lower temperature, you can up the oven to 350-375°F to finish off the vape and ensure you don’t leave any herb unused.
- To initiate the heat sequence, simply hold the front panel button down for one second, release, and wait. Once the LED display indicates that your selected temperature has been reached, inhale, and enjoy.
The Elite is a great portable dry herb vape for the price
So you may be wondering how the new Elite vaporizer from Grenco Science stacks up against the new PAX 2 vape and other similar quality vapes… The simple answer: it’s more user friendly and it’s cheaper. The mouthpiece design on the G-Pen Elite keeps the unit from overheating and burning your lips; something that cannot be said for the PAX 2. Seriously, that thing burns!
Additionally, unlike the PAX 2 vaporizer which doesn’t include a manual temperature control feature, the Elite vape comes with a new modern digital display that allows you to easily manage the temperature of the oven at all times by pushing the lower/raise temperature buttons on the side of the unit. What this essentially means is that you can finally have good-tasting vapor from a portable vaporizer… no more burnt popcorn taste. Further more, the Elite’s large oven size can fit nearly 1 gram of ground dry herbs, ensuring you won’t need to keep filling it to reach your desired effect. Just one pack and you are set for a night on the town or hike in the woods.
The bad stuff
There are some down sides to the G-Pen Elite. For starters, the mouth piece cover is made of a rubber-like silicon that easily wears down and begins to rip as you remove the mouth piece each time you pack / clean your vape. Additionally, I found the mouth piece to get clogged with resin after a few weeks of daily use. This is an issue because they do not provide a second mouth piece or a means to clean it, so now I am stuck figuring out how to clean it / use it when it gets limited airflow. Finally, the battery life is very bad compared to other portable vaporizers I have come across that last for days on end. With regular use (2-3 vape sessions per day), I found the battery of the G-Pen Elite to almost always be below half power (2/4 bars) after the first few 2-3 sessions (1 day) — making you charge it almost daily before bed if you want to use it the next day. This may not seem like a big issue until you get medicated one night and forget to plug it in, wake up the next to start a new session, only to have the unit drained.
Regardless of all of the issues listed above, I still would feel comfortable recommending the G-Pen Elite to anybody seeking a portable vaporizer that is capable of manual temperature settings and producing large clouds of vapor (if desired). For the price tag of $179, you get the power to vape wherever you desire.
Grenco Science was one of the original companies to come out with a pen-style vaporizer. Their G-Pen is specifically designed for essential oils and personal aromatherapy regiments. It was released in 2012.